2013-2016 CAADX Safety Recall Notice
At Cannondale, we know that our riders demand the highest levels of performance, quality, and safety, under the most challenging riding conditions, and we hold ourselves and Cannondale products to that standard.
Following several reports of fork fractures on Cannondale Cyclocross CAADX Model Year 2013-2016 bicycles, including one tragic incident in which the rider fell and suffered injuries that ultimately led to his death, we launched an in-depth inquiry. We, and several other independent parties, conducted extensive testing on the issue and did not identify a defect in the forks. However, given the circumstances, we decided the best course of action was to inform riders of these incidents and make a free upgraded replacement fork available through the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s voluntary recall process.
To check if your CAADX is affected by this recall, inspect your bicycle to confirm it has all of the following features (as shown in the picture):
- A prominent CAADX marking on the top tube or other tube
- Disc brakes
- A large “ULTRAX” marking on the inside of the fork leg
- A black plastic cable running to the front disc brake that is outside of the fork blade (not internally routed within the fork blade)
If your CAADX bicycle meets the criteria above, please contact your local Cannondale dealer to arrange for a free upgraded replacement fork. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and are offering riders a free upgraded replacement fork that is a full carbon fork, providing increased performance at a lower weight than the original fork. Additionally, we encourage all riders to read and consider all warnings included in the owner’s manual for the CAADX, including but not limited to the BPSA industry standard warning that “A crash or other impact can put extraordinary stress on bicycle components, causing them to fatigue prematurely. Components suffering from stress fatigue can fail suddenly and catastrophically, causing loss of control, serious injury or death.” View PDF Thank you for your patience, and for riding Cannondale.
2016 Slate Safety Notice
This safety notice affects all 2016 Cannondale Slate bicycles sold worldwide.
All 2016 Cannondale Slate Bicycles
All 2016 Slate models are sold with inner tube tires. When modification is attempted to run tubeless, (i.e. removal of the inner tube) the tire bead may not seat properly in the rim and the tire could come off the rim. Cannondale has received reports of this occurring in the field, posing a safety risk.
If the inner tube is removed from the rim, the tire bead may not seat properly in the rim and the tire could come off the rim, which could lead to an accident and risk of injury.
Slate is safe when ridden in the original condition with an inner tube. Any riders who have modified their Slates to run tubeless should:
- IMMEDIATELY STOP RIDING, and have inner tubes returned /installed in both wheels before riding again.
- Contact an Authorized Cannondale Dealer to receive a no-cost replacement wheel set. Use the contact for your region below. Your Dealer will contact you when the replacement wheel sets are available.
Is it okay to ride my Slate in its original configuration (with an inner tube)?
Yes! This issue only affects those riders who wish to modify their Slates to run tubeless. However, while it is not unsafe to run these bikes with tubes, we would like everyone to receive a new wheelset.
I ride my Slate tubeless, what should I do?
Stop riding, convert your Slate back to using inner tubes, and visit your Cannondale dealer to receive a free set of replacement wheels with upgraded rims that will ensure maximum performance and safety when riding tubeless.
If you have any questions about this Safety Notice, please call:
In Europe, please consult your nearest Authorized Cannondale Dealer.
|ORIGINAL||REPLACEMENT and NEW PRODUCTION|
|Slate wheels can be identified by the "Slate" logo decal on both the front and rear wheels. The Slate wheel comes in three decal colors: Black (above top), Orange (above middle) & Green (above bottom).||The replacement wheel uses a MAVIC XM419 rim model shown above.|
Quick Release Recall
Effected: Bicycles equipped with front disc brakes and quick release levers.
- Visit the following links to learn more www.quickreleaserecall.com and www.cpsc.gov.
- Download the PDF
- English - View PDF Contacts: United States/Canada - 1-800-726-2453; United Kingdom - 01202732288; Australia - (03) 8327 8080
- Portuguese - View PDF
- Spanish - View PDF
- German - View PDF
- French - View PDF
- Italian - View PDF
- Dutch - View PDF
- Chinese - View PDF Contact: China +86-21-64468999
- Japanese - View PDF Contact: Japan - 06-6330-1801
OPI Recall Notice
3 September 2015
At Cannondale, the quality and safety of our products are of paramount importance. We build world-class bicycles, components and parts for riders who demand the highest levels of performance.
During the course of regular testing, we identified a potential safety issue with the OPI stem/steering tube assemblies used in certain Mountain Bikes. We informed appropriate regulatory authorities and, while there have been no reported accidents or injuries as a result of this, we decided it would be in the best interest of our consumers to conduct a voluntary recall of the part.
From model year 2011 through model year 2015 Cannondale used OPI stems on certain Mountain Bikes. Some OPI stems were also sold as aftermarket stems. Testing has shown that the nature of the connection between the base of the OPI stem and the top of the steering tube results in a reduced fatigue life. This could lead to fork failure, with risk of a serious accident or injury. To address this risk, all OPI equipped forks must be fitted with a special wedge kit that locks and reinforces the threaded connection between the OPI stem and the steering tube. This remedy restores appropriate fatigue life.
You can identify that you have an OPI stem that is being recalled if the words "OPI" are printed on the top of your stem. You should stop riding your bike immediately and bring it to your nearest authorized Cannondale Dealer to have the part replaced at no charge. Call ahead to make your appointment and you should be in and out quickly. It should take less then 30 minutes to install the new part. We know that it might be a hassle to have to take your bike off the trails to do this, but your safety is important to us.
If you have any questions, please contact our customer service department.
This recall affects Cannondale mountain bikes produced between 2011-2015 with a Lefty front fork assembled with a component known as an "OPI Stem" and an "OPI Steerer." The OPI Steerer is being recalled. It is located inside the headtube and is not visible. The Lefty fork and the OPI Stem ARE NOT being recalled.
- - OPI Stems are marked with the “OPI” logo in black with a white stripe above. OPI Stems look smooth and are rounded at the bike head tube.
- - OPI Stems have no stem bolts, only 4 handlebar bolts.
Use the illustration above to identify a bike subject to recall.
Manufacturer / Importer:
Cycling Sports Group Inc., of Wilton, Connecticut.
OPI steerers affected by this recall have reduced fatigue life which could lead to breakage of the fork clamps or bolts over time. If that happened, a rider could lose control leading to an accident.
Consumers with a bicycle equipped with an OPI stem should immediately stop using the bicycle and contact the nearest Authorized Cannondale Bicycle Dealer. Cannondale Dealers will inspect the bicycle OPI stem and fork for any damage that may have occurred and fit the OPI stem steerer system with a reinforcement part and install new Lefty clamp bolts.
This recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Find a Authorized Cannondale Dealer
Suntour/RS Suspension Fork
- 2014 Tandem Bicycles Frame Recall Notice - English - View PDF
- 2013 Slice RS Frame Recall Notice - English - View PDF
- 2008 Scalpel Recall 100 Frame Recall Notice - English - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - English - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - Spanish - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - German - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - French - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - Italian - View PDF
- Scalpel Carbon 100 Recall - Dutch - View PDF
Gemini Frame (2002-2003)
- Certain Gemini Frame 2002 2003 Recall - English - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - US English - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - UK English - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - Spanish - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - German - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - French - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice& - Italian - View PDF
- 2007 Carbon SI Crank Recall Notice - Dutch - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - English - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - Spanish - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - German - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - French - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - Italian - View PDF
- 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 and Lefty Speed Carbon SL Recall Notice - Dutch - View PDF
- Carbon Lefty Second 2001 Recall - English - View PDF
- Carbon Lefty Recall - English - View PDF
- Handlebar Bag 2004 2005 Recall - English - View PDF
- Raven2 Bottom Bracket Repair 2001 Recall - English - View PDF
- C1 Carbon Front Brake On Certain Synapse & System6 Bikes Recall - English - View PDF
- Rotor Bolt Recall - English - View PDF
- Zepp Stem 2002 Recall - English - View PDF
- Campagnolo Quick Release 2001 Recall - English - View PDF